Jared Smith – Complete Resume
- Contact Information
- Professional Summary
- Work Experience
- Other Professional/Technical Skills
- Other Accomplishments
Read what people are saying about Jared Smith and read letters of recommendation from employers
- Open Source Technology Guru with senior management, VoIP, and enterprise-scale network operations experience. Excellent public speaking skills, gifted teacher, and published technical author. Experienced in coordinating corporate operations with open source communities.
August 1994 – December 2001 Utah State University (Logan, UT)
- B.S. in Computer Engineering with a minor in Computer Science
Star Valley High School, Afton, WY, graduated 1994
Complete list of Work Experience
Fedora Project Leader
Red Hat is the premier provider of enterprise Linux and middleware solutions.
- Lead the Fedora Project, and ensure it continues to be the distinctive Linux distribution for cutting-edge features and software freedom
- Work with the over twenty-two thousand individuals who have signed the Individual Contributor License Agreement (CLA), which indicates their willingness to contribute back to Fedora.community work together. This effort includes participating or leading online meetings, speaking engagements, on and offline media interactions, corporate meetings, IRC activity, forum involvement and more.
- Ensure that Red Hat continues to respect and listen to the Fedora community
- Chair the Fedora Board
July 2007 – July 2010
Digium, Inc., Huntsville, AL
Digium created, maintains, owns and is the innovative force behind Asterisk, the open source telephony communications software in use by more than two million servers today. Asterisk powers Digium’s family of software and hardware appliances and enables other companies to customize voice over IP (VoIP) products.
- Developed and taught Asterisk training programs worldwide
- Managed company’s online public relations efforts
- Advised potential clients on software and hardware capabilities for difficult installations before sale
- Wrote software documentation
February 2006 – July 2007
Sokol & Associates, Kansas City, MO
Sokol & Associates is a VoIP consulting firm specializing in open source solutions and training. Sokol & Associates also administers Asterisk training conferences worldwide, including AstriCon, AstriCon Europe, Asterisk 101, Asterisk Administration, and The Asterisk Boot Camp. This company was acquired by Digium, Inc, in July 2007.
- As primary Asterisk consultant and team lead, Jared performed Asterisk customization for small-large businesses in the US and Canada
- Developed and taught Asterisk training programs
- Participated in and led installations ranging in size from one-man operations on up to munincipalities
- Evaluated and recommended hardware and equipment purchases to suit client needs and budget
- Provided call center Asterisk customization, training, and consultation
- Troubleshot interoperability issues with client, hardware, ISPs, and telecom companies
- Administered dCap (Certified Digium Asterisk Professional) certification test
- Managed company hardware and network infrastructure
- Generated new client leads
Senior Network Systems Operator / R&D Team Lead
January 2004 – February 2006
Omniture, Orem, UT
Omniture’s industry-leading SiteCatalyst solves the mysteries of online activity, providing the insight and intelligence you need to make smart business decisions. This vital tool is the Web-site analytics choice for more Fortune 200 companies than all other on-demand Web analytics companies combined.
- Managed team of Systems Administrators responsible for enterprise-level systems and network monitoring and hardware Research and Development, reporting directly to VP of Network Operations
- Directed data center startup installation
- Led and coordinated teams of NetOps personnel during data center travel for hardware installation, maintenance, and updates
- Worked with NetOps team to maintain several thousand servers’ hardware and software for mass-scale web analytics applications over fiber optic network at remotely located data centers worldwide
- Maintained and troubleshot enterprise-level network hardware
- Interviewed potential employees and recommended for hire
- Evaluated equipment using benchmarking standards
- Recommended hardware purchases, some totaling over a million dollars
- Maintained and upgraded company telephone system
October 2005 – October 2006
No More Mortgage in Orem, Utah
NO MORE Mortgage’s mission is reversing the tide of consumer debt in America. Its comprehensive approach to professionally managed debt elimination, combined with ongoing financial education, results in clients who enjoy interest savings of $20,000 to $200,000 or more, while eliminating all of their debt, including their mortgage, in an average of nine years or less.
- Asterisk server setup for office operations
July 2005 – October 2005
OpenBase International in Concord, New Hampshire
For over a decade, the OpenBase family of products have been enabling some of the most innovative business applications at work today. Product lines include OpenBase SQL, OpenBase Forms, and OpenBase Solutions.
- Custom Asterisk programming
Volunteer Asterisk Consultant
North Star Academy in Riverton, Utah
North Star Academy is a charter school for children aged K-8.
- Troubleshot installation of Asterisk telephone system
September 2004 – April 2005
Sivox in Florham Park,New Jersey
SIVOX has been implemented in enterprise-wide installations with notable Fortune 500 companies. Our vision is to be the architect of the perfect customer interaction. This is accomplished through the innovative application of total immersion simulation technology.
- Asterisk server setup for office operations
Infrastructure Team Manager
May 2002 – January 2004
Discovery Research Group, Salt Lake City, UT
(A letter of recommendation is available online from this employer.)
Discovery Research Group provides primary market research through telephone interviewing and web administered surveys. With world-class service professionals and state-of-the-art phone centers, Discovery Research Group specializes in interviewing and recruiting respondents over the telephone.
- Management of IT team, including systems administrators and programmers, reporting directly to CEO
- Responsible for entire corporate IT infrastructure, including approximately 500 desktops and over 50 servers located at five geographical locations
- Proposed, implemented, and maintained a company-wide Asterisk VoIP phone system, saving company over $200,000 a year
- Worked with vendors and employees to review and recommend service, software, and hardware purchases
- Interviewed, evaluated, and recommended employees for hire
- Maintained wide-area network between remote offices
- File server maintenance and security
- Upgraded computers at remotely located call centers
- Programmed database back-end for online employee timesheets and information updates
November 2001 – January 2002
ABMS (Advanced Business Management Systems) in Logan, Utah
American Business Management Systems, Inc., (“ABMS”) has been developing state-of-the-art software for the Tire and Automotive Industry for over a decade. Some of the key features if the Tire Guru suite include: inventory management, accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, echnologically advanced e-commerce system designed to link tire wholesalers to retail dealers through a secure internet link, tire fitment guide, promotions, coupons, service scheduling, customer history,and a comprehensive reporting module.
- Designed and implemented changes to tire sales and inventory software
July 2001-August 2001
Guru Labs in Bountiful, Utah
Guru Labs offers Linux training classes. Our Gurus thoroughly research cutting edge advancements in Linux to incorporate in curriculum. Our instructors are unparalleled experts in creating successful and enjoyable training experiences for individuals and groups.
- Designed curriculum for course on Web Application Development (see http://www.gurulabs.com/linux415.html
for course curriculum)
- Created slides for use in classes
- Generated PHP and SQL code for specific examples of topics covered in class
Systems Administrator / Computer Engineer
September 1999 – July 2001
Visionary Products (formerly known as GoCode)
in Draper, UT
(A letter of recommendation is available online from this employer.)
Visionary Products, Inc., provides engineering services for organizations needing additional engineering support for a wide range of projects and new product development. When you need specialized engineering, electrical or mechanical design, or just need some extra engineering support for an urgent project, you can count on VPI to help you make your projects successful and your products work right.
- Responsible for design, administration, and security for corporate network infrastructure, including:
- File and print sharing servers (using Linux and Windows NT, including SAMBA)·
- Web and application servers (Apache, IIS, and Stronghold, with PHP scripting)
- Mail servers (Sendmail, iMail, and several web-based mail systems)
- Relational Database servers and clients (MySQL and Microsoft SQL Server)
- Router / Firewalls·
- Backup systems
- Programmed server-side applications, including an e-commerce shopping cart, an online barcode catalog system, an internet voting program, and many other database-backed web applications
- Managed a small group of web programmers to provide timely solutions to client’s needs
- Responsible for researching and utilizing open-source solutions to critical software needs
- Responsible for evaluating all computer hardware and software purchases
- Set up and maintained an online bug tracking database
- Wrote firmware in C for an 8051-based microcontroller
Digitran Systems, Incorporated develops, manufactures and markets simulator training systems which are used to train personnel in the petroleum, transportation and construction industries. The company manufactures a variety of simulator training systems for crane operations, petroleum operations, and heavy duty truck driving.
- Setup and administered web, mail, file, and print servers on various platforms including NT, Linux, SCO Unix, IRIX, Windows 3.1, and Windows 98
- Planned and implemented the company network redesign, intranet servers, and source code control systems.
- Recommended computer hardware purchases and performed assembly, upgrades, diagnostics, maintenance, and repair on systems
- Introduced company to Linux, resulting in the porting of all simulation code to Linux platform
- Web site design, including custom CGI programming
- Simulation software testing, troubleshooting, and quality assurance
- Traveled to Venezuela for on-site customer service call, diagnosed and repaired hardware and software conflicts
- Assisted in creation of Spanish edition of software documentation and user manuals
- Authored a software installation manual for use within the company
March 1997 – March 1998
Utah State University, Logan,
(A letter of recommendation is available online from this employer.)
- Diagnosed and repaired University computer systems
- Assisted with the sale of surplus equipment
- Web site design, integrating an online database of available
October 1997 – February 1999
- Handled area service calls for Dell, Compaq, Hewlett Packard, etc., computers
- Hardware installation and troubleshooting
- Router installation and troubleshooting
- Reported results of customer service visits and made recommendations for
Other Technical Skills
- Extensive experience in file, database, mail and web server administration; shell scripting,
network security, intranet development, and computer hardware diagnostics and repair
- Asterisk Voice Over IP system design, implementation, and administration
- Skilled in custom web application programming including PHP server-side
- Eight years of relational database experience, including web and database
integration and online cataloging using MySQL, PostgreSQL, and SQL Server
- Extensive experience in equipment evaluation, recommendation, purchase, installation,
maintenance, and troubleshooting
- I have programmed in several languages including: C, PHP, C++, Pascal, dBase,
- I am skilled in the use of Adobe Photoshop, Adobe PageMaker, GIMP, Macromedia
DreamWeaver, Microsoft FrontPage, and Macromedia Flash.
- I can install and tie-down telephone lines, install network cable, and troubleshoot
network hardware wiring problems.
- Firmware programming in C / Embedded systems development
- Eagle Scout Award – Boy Scouts of America, awarded 1993
- Academic Scholarship – USU, awarded 1994
- March 1998 TechForce Network Service Authorized Service Provider
- January 2001 Brainbench certification in PHP 4
- January 2001 Brainbench Certification in Programmer/Analyst Aptitude
- January 2001 Brainbench certification in Linux Administration
- Successfully completed a two-year term as a christian missionary for the
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, living and working in South America
(Chile and Paraguay) for two years (1994-1996)
- I read and speak Spanish fluently.
- Wrote custom PHP code utilizing mySQL databases that allows the client to update all text on web sites himself — our own Content Management System (CMS). The code allows users to enter text in a browser window and update the web site immediately without learning any HTML. We’ve sold the code to several smaller companies and organizations that can not afford the expense of contracting a web page designer full-time to maintain a site.
- I have designed several web sites using custom database-driven applications for miscellaneous purposes, including:
- Invented a feature in Asterisk known as “IAX2 trunking”, allowing concurrent calls between two Asterisk installations to minimize IP overhead, and thus increase the number of simultaneous calls over a particular link. Following is a video recorded at a UTAUG meeting where Jared describes the event.
- Co-founder of the Asterisk Documentation Project http://www.asteriskdocs.org/
- Presenter at the first Astricon Asterisk User Convention with Leif Madsen, September 2004. Jared and Leif spoke to almost 500 people at the three-day event with attendees from 32 countries on 6 continents.
- Speaker at the Salt Lake Linux Users Group (SLLUG) meeting December 15, 2004, on Asterisk, describing the software and providing a hands-on demonstration of a live Asterisk VoIP system. See the outline.
- Speaker at Provo Linux Users Group (PLUG) January 2005 meeting. Here is an audio recording of the meeting, and the help from the PLUG mailing list. Jared’s speech was standing-room only, and drew the largest attendance at a PLUG meeting to date.
- Speaker at Ogden Area Linux Users Group(OALUG) for their June 2005 meeting.
- Co-Author of Asterisk: The Future of Telephony with Leif Madsen and Jim VanMegglen, published by O’Reilly Media in September 2005. Read it online. This PDF sample chapter, Dialplan Basics, is my work.
- Asterisk: The Future of Telephony becomes the #5 best-selling technology book on Amazon.com in October, 2005.
- Speaker at Utah Valley State University Linux Users Group (UVLUG) October 8, 2005. Read about it here.
- Presenter at Astricon 2005 in Anaheim, California. Hear from Jared, Jim, and Leif during the Friday afternoon session, October 14, 2005, at 3:20 PM and find them during the conference for book signings.
- Asterisk: The Future of Telephony goes into its FIFTH printing in November 2005, just 2 months after its September 2005 release.
- Co-founder of the Utah Asterisk Users’ Group in January 2006.
- Speaker at the January 5, 2006, Utah Asterisk Users’ Group Meeting for a standing room only crowd. Here’s the video.
- Active member of FredLUG, the Fredericksburg Area Lunux User’s Group.
- Speaker at November 22, 2006 resurrection meeting of FredLUG.
- Speaker at June 19, 2007, FredLUG meeting. “Jared gave a presentation on PXE and kickstart, and how to use these facilities to do automated and unattended installations.”
- Jared’s book, Asterisk: The Future of Telephony, is called a technology best-seller at 19,000 copies by Tim O’Reilly of
O’Reilly Media here.
- The second edition of Jared’s book, Asterisk: The Future of Telephony 2nd Ed. was published in September 2007. From the publisher: “This bestselling book is now the standard guide to building phone systems with Asterisk, the open source IP PBX that has traditional telephony providers running scared! Revised for the 1.4 release of the software, the new edition of Asterisk: The Future of Telephony reveals how you can save money on equipment and support, and finally be in control of your
telephone system. ” Jared co-authored this book with friends Lief Madsen and Jim Van Meggelen.
- September 7-8, 2007 – Jared speaks both days at the Utah Open Source Conference in Salt Lake City, Utah. Jared’s topics were ‘Building Voice Applications Using Open Source’ and ‘VOIP in the Office’.
- IP Conversations interviewed Jared for their Podcast on September 13, 2007. You can Download it here.
- Speaker Asterisk Montreal User’s Group in September 2007.
- Weekly participant in the VOIP User’s Conference call in help podcast.
- Interviewed for Utah Open Source Conference 2007 Video for OpenSourceTV.
- Spoke on a variety of topics at Astricon 2007 including “Introduction to Analog Telephony.”
- Von /Digium Asterisk World speaker on getting the community involved with Asterisk in October 2007 in Boston.
- Elected a member of the Fedora Documentation Steering Committee, or FDSCo, in December 2007.
- “Jared Smith, author, trainer, Asterisk evangelist, IT commando” spoke at FUDCon Raleigh January 2008. Presented a session on Asterisk during the BarCamp titled “Asterisk: What is it, and what can it do for me?”. Also presented with friend Paul Frields, new head of the Fedora project, a crowded session on DocBook XML and Docs Project tools and futures in Fedora titled “You Too Can Write a Book in DocBook XML”. View a picture on Chris Tyler’s blog
- Mentioned by Danny Windham, CEO of Digium, in an interview by VON Magazine. Printed in January/February 2008 edition on page 24 of the VON Pioneers section. “We have over 300 active contributors, over 47,000 active on forums, over 15,000 active on Asterisk mailing lists, and over 5,000 on bug tracker. The community support is very important to Digium … We recently hired a community relations manager, Jared Smith, who is extremely active on the forums and who is working to enhance our Asterisk user community by assisting individuals in starting user groups in their communitites. The Asterisk community is vital to the success of the open source project.”
- Spoke at Digium Asterisk World March 2008 in San Jose on “Introduction to Asterisk”.
- Speaker at the IT360 Conference in Toronto, Canada, in April 2008.
- Speaker at Astricon 2008 in Phoneix, Arizona, in September 2008.
- Successfully taught Korean students in Seoul, Korea, the Asterisk Bootcamp course in July 2008. Several were able to pass the dCap test, due to Jared’s excellent communication skills.
- 11-year old Cub Scout Leader with Boy Scouts of America from 2006-2008.
- Presenter at Fedora Conference (FUDCon), Boston, MA, MIT, January 2009. Topics were “Asterisk and Fedora Talk” and “Write Docs with DocBook XML”.
- At Astricon 2009, Jared Emcee’d one of the lecture tracks, helped with the “Fastest Dude to the Dialplan” competition, and performed training and dCap certifications.
- Jared was a presenter at the Atlanta Asterisk Install Festival 2009 at Georgia Tech discussing ODBC and Asterisk. Here’s a video of his presentation
- Jared accepted the position as Fedora Project Leader for RedHat in July 2010. His first engagement for the project was just days after the announcement of his new position at FUDcon LATAM (Latin America) in Santiago, Chile, where Jared offered his keynote and closing addresses in Spanish — the first time Chileans had heard from an FPL in their native language.
- Also in July 2010 Jared represented RedHat at Fórum Internacional Software Livre in Brasil.
- Jared hasn’t forgotten his Digium Asterisk roots and presented during the Asterisk 123 track at Astricon 2010 in Maryland. Jared won the “2010 Fastest Dude to the Dialplan” competition, getting his dialplan completed in just over 2 minutes (!), but relinquished his title to the second place contestant (over 5 minutes) because of his former employment with Digium.
- Jared spoke at 2011 Linux Conference in Brisbane, Australia on the topic of “Fedora and Red Hat: A Strategy for Open Source Success”. He says, “I’ll talk specifically about how Fedora contributes back to upstream communities, and how Red Hat uses Fedora as one of its upstream sources. I’ll also give specific examples of places where Red Hat engineers use Fedora to contribute back upstream, both to the Kernel and to other upstream projects. I’ll finish by explaining what sets Fedora apart from other Linux distributions.”
- Speaker at FUDCon Tempe 2011. Will be hosting the Fedora Board Meeting, other informal meetings, and the State of Fedora address.
- Speaker at FOSDEM 2011 in Brussels on topics “Swimming Upstream: How Distributions Help Open Source Communities” and “Distribution collaboration manifesto”.
(see OCR copies of my letters of recommendation)
- Steven Sokol, Sokol and Associates
4031 Central Street
Kansas City, MO 64111
Phone: +1 816 256 8916
Michael Lundberg, President
Discovery Research Group
6975 Union Park Center, Suite 450
Salt Lake City, UT 84047
800-678-3748 or 801-569-0107
Paul Hepworth, Vice-President of Engineering
Visionary Products, Incorporated
11814 South Election Drive, Suite 200
Draper, UT 84020
Allan Lundberg, Lead Engineer
Digitran Simulation Systems, Incorporated
2825 North 920 East
North Logan, UT 84341
Kevin Phillips, Manager
Utah State University Resource Recovery
Logan, Utah 84321